Do you use Pin, Pattern or Password to unlock your phone? Do you find it annoying to enter Pin every time you unlock your phone? Android 5 Lollipop has solution to it. A feature called “Smart Lock” can solve your problem. I will explain how to setup Smart Lock and how to make best use of it. Remember this feature is introduced in Android 5 Lollipop.
Features of Smart Lock
You can unlock your phone / bypass your Pin, Pattern or Password using these methods.
- Trusted devices : using Bluetooth & NFC
- Trusted places : set trusted location using Google Map
- Trusted Face : Unlock phone by Facial recognition
- Trusted voice : train your voice to unlock phone
- On-body detection : Keep device unlocked when you are holding it in your hand
Setup Smart Lock on your phone
These were the methods by which you can unlock your phone without entering Pin, Pattern or Password. Now let’s see step by step guide on how to setup Smart Lock? Prerequisite here is that your phone must be running Android 5 and above and you have setup Pin, Pattern or Password to unlock your Phone.
1. Go to Settings > Lock Screen > Trust agents > enable “Smart Lock by Google”. On some devices you will find it under Security > Advanced > Trust agents.
2. Open “Smart Lock” under “Lock Screen” or under “Screen Security”, it will ask you to enter your Pin, Pattern or Password. Now you will find all methods described above to unlock your phone.
You can add trusted devices to keep your phone unlocked when connected to other device using Bluetooth or NFC. You can add your Bluetooth Watch, your car’s Bluetooth system or Xiaomi Mi Band. Follow the instructions to complete setup using Bluetooth or NFC. You need to keep your Bluetooth or NFC always ON to unlock phone using this method.
You can add Trusted place using Google Map to keep your device unlocked till you are in that particular place. You need to keep your GPS always ON to unlock phone using this method. Keep your GPS setting on “Battery Saving” mode to save battery.
You can use your Face to train your phone to recognise you and unlock your device. This method is less secure than pattern, Pin or Password as someone looking like you might be able to unlock your phone. Follow on screen instructions to complete setup.
You can unlock device by saying “Ok Google”. To unlock phone using this method not all languages are supported. To check more details on activating “Ok Google”, visit this link. Ok Google
You can keep your device unlocked as long as you keep holding your device or carry it like holding it in your hand or carrying in your pocket or handbag. Remember if you give your device to someone else while it’s unlocked, your device may stay unlocked using On-body detection.
I hope you find it useful, if yes do share it on your social media.